Marketing Your Music
Before we begin
It’s just people
- It’s just people!
- Someone you know
- Don’t be a mosquito
- Persistence is Polite
- Always think how you can help someone
- Get personal
- Don’t be afraid to ask for favors
- Small gifts go a long way
It’s just a game
- The mysterious “solicited” un-veiled
- Call the destination, and ask for directions
- Get specific!
- Compass in Your Gut
- Extreme results = extreme actions
- Nobody knows the future - and it doesn’t matter!
- Dreams are here. Details have changed.
- Flip the stick
- Not what it used to be!
- Go where the filters are
Think of everything from their point of view.
- Constantly ask what they really want
- When communicating, be your quirky self
- They know nothing about you. Don’t assume anything.
- Read about new music. Use the tricks that worked on you.
Marketing is a creative extension of your art.
- Business is Creative
- This is only a test. See what happens.
- Leave ’em wanting more
- Touch as many of their senses as you can
- Restrictions will set you free
- Captain T
Have the confidence to target.
- If you don’t say what you sound like, you won’t make any fans
- Proudly exclude some people
- The Most Expensive Vodka
- Aim for the edges.
- Are fans telling friends? If not, improve, don’t promote.
- If you target sharp enough, you will own your niche
- Bad Targeting Example: progressive rocker targeting teenybopper
- And if only 1% of those people...
All the world’s a stage. What character are you?
- Imagine a play with 1000 actors on stage
- Well-Rounded Doesn’t Cut
- Be an extreme version of yourself
- Even conservative legends were extreme
- Doing the opposite of everyone is valuable.
- Selling music by solving a specific need
- Mystery : Are people asking themselves questions about you?
Prove yourself before asking for help
- Show success before asking for help
- Test. Improve. Perfect. Announce.
- Nobody’s going to help you. Does that encourage you or discourage you?
- What do musicians and entrepreneurs have in common?
- A good plan wins no matter what happens
- Was 10%, now 90%
- DIY = Decide It Yourself
People : one to many
- Stay in close touch with hundreds of people
- Get used to the idea of database and quantity
- Database tips
- Meet three new people every week
- Life is like High School
- Keep in touch
- More thoughts about people
- How to make a conference worth it
- Shining example: Rayko
Words carry your music farther and faster
- Why words matter more than ever
- A short description - five seconds or less
- How to describe your music
- Never use corporate-speak
- Hillbilly Flamenco
- Tell people why they should care
- Blah blah blah... What not to say
- Describe your music like a non-musician
- Or you can not talk at all
Money is neutral proof that you’re being valuable
- Never have a limit on your income
- Piracy is not the problem
- Talent increases. Resourcefulness decreases. Are you sustainable?
- Don’t promote until people can take action
- Emphasize meaning over price = More paid sales
- Assume the basic sale, and go for quantity
- Is your album a starting line or a finish line?
- Some people like to pay. Let them.
- The power of no reward
Get people involved.
- Put your fans to work
- Make your success a we or us. Include everyone.
- Photos of your audience on your website
- Have someone work the inside of the industry