Me in 10 seconds
I'm fascinated with the usable psychology of self-improvement, business, philosophy, and intercultural relativism. I love seeing a different point of view.
Total introvert (INTJ). I thrive in solitude.
Minimalist. I prefer giving to getting.
California native. I now live in New Zealand, Singapore, and Belgium.
CURRENT UPDATE: Here's what I'm doing now.
Official Bragging Bio
Originally a professional musician and circus clown, Derek Sivers created CD Baby in 1998.
It became the largest seller of independent music online, with $100M in sales for 150,000 musicians.
In 2008, Derek sold CD Baby for $22M, giving the proceeds to a charitable trust for music education.
He is a frequent speaker at the TED Conference, with over 5 million views of his talks.
Since 2011 he has published 34 books, including “Anything You Want” which shot to #1 on all of its Amazon categories.
Newest Posts see all posts
Popular Posts see all posts
Projects see all projects
- Book Notes
- detailed notes from the last 200+ books I’ve read
- Now Now Now
- a collection of sites that have a “what I’m doing now” page
- inspiring quotes about music, translated into Español, Français, Deutsch, Italiano, Português, Русский, العربية, 日本語, and 中文
- Wood Egg
- my book publishing company
- the hand-crafted Ruby code that runs this site
- Anything You Want
- Tales from my CD Baby experience: Entrepreneur lessons learned from starting, building, and selling CD Baby.
- Marketing Your Music
- Free e-book for musicians about promoting your music and navigating the music industry.
- Wood Egg Startup Guides
- 20 books about starting a business in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Photos (click for big)
Tweets see all tweets
- February 9
- Re-wrote http://musicthoughts.com/ from Ruby+Sinatra to static HTML, generated by https://github.com/50pop/musicthoughts/blob/master/make.rb?ts=2 Fun!
- January 27
- Switch strategies : http://sivers.org/switch
- January 26
- Answered 4778 emails in the past 44 days. Learned a lot. Time to start writing publicly again.
- January 13
- I've been answering about 150 emails a day for the last 30 days. Did 250 today. Each one with big questions about life/career/etc. Oh my.
- December 8
- This is probably the best talk I've ever done: http://sivers.org/wds (40 minutes)
- November 20
- The story about nownownow.com : http://sivers.org/now3
Please email me at [email protected] for any reason. I reply to all, and much prefer email over social networks.
Get on my private email list, here: