Derek Sivers

Programmer, writer, entrepreneur, avid student of life. I make useful things, and share what I learn.

Me in 10 seconds

I'm a musician, programmer, writer, entrepreneur, and student — though not in that order.

I'm fascinated with the usable psychology of self-improvement, business, philosophy, and intercultural relativism. I love seeing a different point of view.

Total introvert (INTJ). I thrive in solitude.

Minimalist. I prefer giving to getting.

California native. I now live in New Zealand, Singapore, and Belgium.

Deeply happy and anti-drama, my favorite fable is 塞翁失马.

CURRENT UPDATE: Here's what I'm doing now.

Official Bragging Bio

Originally a professional musician and circus clown, Derek Sivers created CD Baby in 1998.

It became the largest seller of independent music online, with $100M in sales for 150,000 musicians.

In 2008, Derek sold CD Baby for $22M, giving the proceeds to a charitable trust for music education.

He is a frequent speaker at the TED Conference, with over 5 million views of his talks.

Since 2011 he has published 34 books, including “Anything You Want” which shot to #1 on all of its Amazon categories.

Newest Posts see all posts

Popular Posts see all posts

Projects see all projects

Book Notes
detailed notes from the last 200+ books I’ve read
Now Now Now
a collection of sites that have a “what I’m doing now” page
inspiring quotes about music, translated into Español, Français, Deutsch, Italiano, Português, Русский, العربية, 日本, and 中文
Wood Egg
my book publishing company
the hand-crafted Ruby code that runs this site


Anything You Want
Tales from my CD Baby experience: Entrepreneur lessons learned from starting, building, and selling CD Baby.
Marketing Your Music
Free e-book for musicians about promoting your music and navigating the music industry.
Wood Egg Startup Guides
20 books about starting a business in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.


3 short talks from the TED Conference.
Anything You Want
7 short animations from my book “Anything You Want”.
Uncommon Sense
Entrepreneur lessons learned from starting, building, and selling CD Baby.
Conference Presentations
Talks from other conferences, all subjects.

Photos (click for big)

Derek Sivers Derek Sivers

Tweets see all tweets

November 20
The story about :
November 18
Selling a company is like getting divorced, graduating college, and winning the lottery on the same day.
November 16
“Never tell your problems to anyone. 80% don’t care, and the other 20% are glad you have them.” - Lou Holtz, revised
November 12
Everyone with a /now page gets a profile: Click any (+) then keep browsing. So fascinating. Can't tear myself away.
October 29
See : home of the /now pages. Fun to browse. So many interesting ones.
October 28
If you liked my “Keep your goals to yourself” TED talk (, you’ll love this:


Please email me at [email protected] for any reason. I reply to all, and much prefer email over social networks.

Get on my private email list, here: