Here are the important things you need to know:
- Marketing is an extension of your art. Business is just as creative as music.
- Marketing means being considerate. Focus on others. See yourself from their point of view. Being weird is considerate.
- All opportunities come from people. Stay in touch with everyone. Use a database.
- People skills are counterintuitive. To be helped, be helpful. Persistence is polite.
- Be resourceful. Ask for help, but never wait for help. Call the destination and ask for directions. Get specific about what you want.
- The music industry is run by cool people like you. Don’t put them on a pedestal.
- Describe your music in a curious way, and it will travel faster and further.
- Be extreme and sharply defined. Target a niche. Proudly exclude most people.
- Money is just a neutral representation of value. Be valuable to others — not just yourself. People like to pay.
- Decide if you’re at the starting line or finish line. Nobody knows the future, so focus on what doesn’t change.
- Whatever scares you, go do it.
That’s basically the whole book.