Inside these stories, you’ll hear these themes.
- Marketing is an extension of your art. Business is just as creative as music.
- Marketing means being considerate. Focus on others. See yourself from their point of view.
- People skills are everything. All opportunities come from people. People skills are counter-intuitive. Be helpful to be helped. Persistence is polite. Use a database. Stay in touch with everyone. Ask for help.
- Be resourceful. Make things happen yourself. Never wait for help. Call the destination and ask for directions. Get specific about what you want.
- Describe your music in a curious way, and it will travel so much faster and further.
- Be extreme and sharply defined. Target a niche. Proudly exclude most.
- Shed taboos about money — it’s just a neutral show of value. People like to pay.
- Are you at the starting line or finish line? Your dreams might already be true. Nobody knows the future.
- Whatever scares you, go do it. Whatever drains you, stop.
So that’s basically the whole book.